If you had asked me a year ago today what would happen over the upcoming year, I can honestly say that I don’t think I would have gotten a single prediction right.
No, I wouldn’t have said that I was going to be rich, a published author, wife, mother, etc. Those would have been the predictions of a crazy person.
I probably would have said that I’d still be in a relationship, that I’d have finished my master’s degree, and still be working at my last job, prepping for a big move to another part of the country.
See, totally wrong on all counts. I’m single, still working on that degree, and I got my dream job and work with some awesome people.
But what has happened over the past year has taught me quite a lot, and most of it has been absolutely hysterical. As it should be.
Honestly, if the year wasn’t hilarious, it could only be because I died before the year even started.
So, without further ado, I present for you all the things that I learned in 2010, in no particular order.
- Being out of shape can, and will, result in someone thinking I’m pregnant.
- The Apple TV remote is so small that I will forever lose it inside my couch. While it’s small, it’s the perfect size to use as a microphone when I’m singing to myself.
- Never watch the trailer for The Human Centipede while eating a chili dog.
- I’m not allowed to play Super Mario Bros. Wii while unsupervised.
- It is possible to inhale the following things in hilarious, yet painful, ways: chili, spaghetti noodles, chai lattes, just-out-of-the-oven brownies, and jalapeño seeds.
- Even Santa Claus gets speeding tickets.
- I can, and will, lock both my keys and my glasses in the car at the same time.
- I can hurt myself with my own footwear. And I don’t mean fall down or trip on it. I mean kick the flip-flop off my foot and hit myself in the head with it.
- Never think about how long I’d survive in a horror movie while showering…or really doing activity in which people die in horror movies.
- Even after doing it for the first time when I was six, I will still manage to fall into my laundry basket and get stuck.
- A quorum of 2/3 majority must be established before voting can occur.
- If I happen to slip and fall down on the paint in front of Target during a rain storm, I will always hear, “Don’t slip!” when I go to that Target with my sister.
- My cat continues to hate me.
- Apparently, if I wear my hair down and tuck my glasses inside of a beanie, I’m hot.
- It doesn’t matter how long I step away from my phone or computer. Amir will find a way to hack my Facebook.
- It is possible to mistake my finger for a potato while using a vegetable peeler. And it fricken hurts.
- Speaking of…four stitches and a tetanus shot costs $1,653.48.
So with all of the awesome things I learned this year, I can’t help but make a couple of predictions for the upcoming year:
- I will have finished my first novel and start writing a second (bonus points if I finish the second!)
- I will finish my master’s or go insane!
- I will be a 40s-style lounge singer